I believe the key to reaching any goal is simulation. I said it in my last blog post to find someone who has what you want rather that be health, wealth, love or happiness and mimic there actions. Life is too short to learn from your own mistakes, it’s more efficient to learn from the mistakes of others. It’s simply a smarter and faster way to reach your ultimate end goal.
Speaking of simulation, this past weekend I had the pleasure of spending time with my 88 year old grandmother Mama Ruth. She had some very interesting things to say regarding the reasons she’s lived such a long and happy life.
Here’s a picture of Four generations.
What an inspiration!
I like to say that genetics loads the gun and lifestyle pulls the trigger. I believe that my Mom, my daughter Lyla and I got a good mix of both but Mama Ruth’s behaviors and actions have definitely had a huge impact on our lifestyles and the way we raise our children. Learned behaviors and mimicking the actions of our parents out-weigh genetics all day in my opinion and that is so far so good. Fingers crossed;)
I also asked about her New Years Resolution and she said, if it’s not broken, don’t fix it! I will continue doing what’s always worked, why would I do anything else?”
Words to live by.
Grandma Ruth’s Top 5 Tips to finding the “Good Life”
1) regular exercise- I vividly remember Mama Ruth doing Jane Fonda videos when I was young. She also was a fantastic Golfer winning tournaments, making hole in one shots and choosing to walk every game rarely using a Golf Cart. Do to a fall, she no longer plays Golf but she does water aerobics 7 days a week. My Mom also just informed me that she’s in the pool daily rain or shine instructor or not. Now that’s dedication!
2) social/friendships- she has surrounded herself with positive people forming life-long relationships. She Also volunteers her time for people in need taking care of sick or ill family members and friends. She’s truly self-less and compassionate and there should be no surprise why so many people want to be around her.
3) travel- Mama Ruth has traveled to every state in the US by Motor Home with her past husband of 60 years and current boyfriend.
4) positive attitude- She never sweated the small stuff. I can honestly say I’ve never seen her upset or raise her voice. In my opinion this step comes down to preparation and definitively knowing her end goal. Let’s face it, having money is freedom and that freedom allows for opportunities. She spent and saved money wisely to allow her the future that she envisioned.
5) eat real food- She always cooked real whole food and rarely ever eats out. She’s says knowing exactly what goes in her body is key. When you eat out too much you never know how they cooked it. Real, unprocessed food is all she knows and it shows.
A picture is worth a thousand words.
Wow, those are some serious knowledge bombs dropped by a woman that’s lived it! Were talking about someone that still travels around in a Motor Home with her boyfriend of 15 years. She gardens and cooks her own food, exercises daily, keeps a positive attitude and surrounds herself with like-minded people.
She’s in perfect health taking no medications and hasn’t had any serious medical conditions or diseases. Most likely this is TMI but worth a mention. Mama Ruth admittedly still “wrestles” with her boyfriend on a regular basis probably more than most woman half of her age.
I believe that Her path to the “good life” is actually a perfect Blueprint that anyone could follow and flourish from.
Will you adopt some of Grandma Ruth’s principles to finding your own good life or will you continue to do the same things you did last year and expect a different result?